Trichotillomania (trik-o-til-o-MAY-nee-uh) is a medical condition when someone can’t resist the urge to pull out their hair. Also known as hair-pulling disorder, trichotillomania can cause low self esteem and depression.
A human hair wig can be beneficial in overcoming the hair loss caused by trichotillomania.
Nearly 2% of the world’s population suffers from trichotillomania. Those who suffer from this hair-pulling disorder may go to great lengths to disguise the hair loss.
Besides from leaving patchy bald spots, trichotillomania can interfere with social or work functioning.
In this article we’ll discuss its causes and symptoms. And, explain how using a human hair replacement system is helpful to people suffering from this hair-pulling disorder.
The actual cause of trichotillomania is unclear. However, like many complex disorders, trichotillomania could result from a combination of environmental and genetic factors.
These factors tend to expand the risk of trichotillomania:
- Age – trichotillomania usually develops in people aged 10 to 13 years old. And, it’s often a lifelong struggle. While infants can be prone to hair pulling, it’s usually mild. Generally, it goes away without the need for treatment.
- Family history – trichotillomania may occur in those who have a close relative with the disorder.
- Other disorders – trichotillomania can trigger other disorders. These can include obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), or anxiety.
More women than men are treated for trichotillomania. This could simply be because women are more likely to seek medical advice. In fact, boys and girls appear to be equally affected in early childhood.
Hair-Pulling Disorder Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of hair-pulling disorder often include:
- Biting, chewing, or eating pulled out hair
- Noticeable hair loss, such as thinned areas on the scalp or other areas of the body. Missing or sparse eyebrows or eyelashes
- Rubbing or pulling hair across skin while playing with it
- An unsuccessful attempt to avoid the urge to pull out hair
- Feeling relaxed once you pull out your hair
- Uncontrollable urge to pull out hair
There are many patients who take medication. But, these antidepressants are not a permanent for the disorder. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been used to somehow treat the disorder.
But, the estimated time it takes to get rid the condition is not known as every patient has different triggers.
Looking for a medical hair system for your scalp? Request a free complementary consultation and get your customized trichotillomania hair system today.
You may also enjoy reading: Custom Cranial Prosthesis Wigs For Men